Summer Feet at Stourside Podiatry
Hello everyone, as the sun is out and temperatures are soaring, now is the time to get back to basics by focusing on comfortable and summer ready feet.
With just a few appointments, we will be able to say goodbye to those unsightly winter feet, and sort out those sore cracked heels, dry skin, and thickened nails.
Stourside Podiatry provides a bespoke treatment service, and we are also happy to guide you through a choice of specialist creams and footwear styles suitable for your foot health needs whatever the season.
Here are some top tips by Lois Oakley our Specialist Podiatrist.
- Wash your feet every day. Use warm, soapy water and take care to dry your feet well, especially between the toes – this will help to prevent fungal infections, such as athlete’s foot.
- Pay attention to your socks. Wear well fitting cotton socks and change them every day to avoid sweaty feet.
- Trim your toenails. Use proper toenail clippers- and cut them straight across, not too short and not down the corners, as this can lead to ingrowing toenails.
- Keep your feet moisturised. If the skin on your feet is dry, put moisturiser on your feet before you go to bed, avoiding between the toes ( this can lead to fungal infections).
- Wear the right footwear. It is important to make sure your shoes are the right size for your feet. And the right style for the activity: wearing flip flops for a walk in the park isn’t a good idea! The muscles and tendons in your feet and legs will ache and can become damaged over time.
- Rotate your shoes. Try not to wear the same shoes two days in a row, to reduce your chances of developing a fungal infection.
- Inspect your feet. This is important especially if you have a condition such as Diabetes. Look for cracked skin, abnormal colour changes, loose toenails and anything that doesn’t look quite right. Don’t hope it will go away- because it won’t! Seek professional advice from an HCPC registered podiatrist.
At Stourside we look forward to helping you care for your feet and welcoming you to our clinic.
Podiatry at Stourside is part of the foot health team.